UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador Muzoon Almellehan available for interviews at G20 Summit
Muzoon to represent UNICEF at global meeting in Hamburg
WHO: Muzoon Almellehan, youngest UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador and Syrian refugee
WHAT: UNICEF participation at the G20 Summit
WHEN: 6-8 July 2017
WHERE: Hamburg, Germany
WHY: Muzoon Almellehan will officially represent UNICEF at the G20 Summit. Muzoon, a 19-year-old education activist and Syrian refugee, was appointed as UNICEF’s youngest ever Goodwill Ambassador this past June. After fleeing Syria in 2013, Muzoon lived in refugee camps for three years during which time she began campaigning with UNICEF for the rights of children to education. She is a young, credible voice on education in emergencies.
BACKGROUND: Education is one of six key actions that UNICEF is urging governments to take to protect child refugees as part of its Agenda for Action:
- Protect child refugees and migrants, particularly unaccompanied children, from exploitation and violence;
- End the detention of children seeking refugee status or migrating, by introducing a range of practical alternatives;
- Keep families together as the best way to protect children and give children legal status;
- Keep all refugee and migrant children learning and give them access to health and other quality services;
- Press for action on the underlying causes of large scale movements of refugees and migrants;
- Promote measures to combat xenophobia, discrimination and marginalization in countries of transit and destination.
UNICEF promotes the rights and wellbeing of every child, in everything we do. Together with our partners, we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
For more information about UNICEF and its work for children, visit www.unicef.org.
For more information or to arrange an interview, please contact:
Jenifer Stolz, +49 (0) 176 70748320, Jenifer.Stolz@unicef.de